Insurtech: technology at the service of the insurance sector
Digital innovation has reached a remarkably advanced stage in the insurance sector. Our Insurtech team is ready to assist you with all of its technology-driven experience in the insurance sector.
We have kept pace with our own evolution, meaning we know how to:
- Structure data flows and share responsibilities with technology suppliers and technical and business partners – this allows us to create efficient, sustainable compliance models and to allocate the value generated by data through intellectual property rights. And if you are involved in partnerships or joint ventures, you can also rely on us for assistance with antitrust scrutiny, in addition to our assistance with insurance regulations and data protection
- Evaluate data processing methods by examining the IT structure your company uses to store and process data (on-prem software, the cloud, outsourcing, SaaS). We can also help your company adapt the logic underlying automated decision-making processes (artificial intelligence algorithms) and advanced analysis models (for customer segmentation and the development of fee models) to regulatory constraints
- Identify datasets for all purposes, to ensure that your company complies with know-your-customer regulatory obligations and privacy laws on the excessive profiling deriving from privacy legislation.
- Determination of the terms and methods of data storage
Tax aspects must also be considered if you want to ensure the economic success of your company’s projects:
- Assessment of business models for the digital economy
- Assistance with benefits and incentives envisaged by Tax incentive packages (i.e., patent box, hyper-amortisation, and R&D tax credits)
- Structuring of investments
Digital transformation in the Insurtech sector: how to introduce it in your company
Technology makes an essential contribution, but it is even more crucial that you successfully integrate (and subsequently manage) technology in your company.
This is why our team of experts in the insurance/technology sector can help you in different areas such as:
- Negotiation of agreements for the acquisition, development and integration of technologies, which we do on the strength of our in-depth knowledge of aspects that are specific to these types of agreements (i.e., preventing technological lock-ins, guaranteeing operational stability and clarifying the allocation of duties between suppliers and the company) – this allows us to find sustainable solutions for all parties. Moreover, if your company wishes to acquire technology through corporate transactions, we can assist you in structuring and executing M&As, outsourcing agreements, transfers of business operations, joint ventures, partnerships, and consortia in a way that best exploits new technologies. In these cases, we can also evaluate any antitrust notification obligations
- Assistance with the reorganization and renegotiation of software licenses and agreements governing professional IT services. We can contribute to reducing corporate IT costs through due diligence investigations into licence agreements and by renegotiating contracts so that they have more significant value for your company
Insurtech: an open look at the international market
Digital innovation means that clients, suppliers, partners and market platforms are interconnected, with an open look at all the new technologies that periodically make the technological/insurance world increasingly structured but at the same time functional and accessible;
- Access to new network technologies (i.e., distributed ledger technology, blockchain and cryptocurrencies). Blockchain technology and other network technologies entail new regulatory, contractual and antitrust aspects, which are key to properly regulating access to – and distribution of – information and value. We are experts in structuring consortia based on these new technologies, in full compliance with all applicable laws
- Drafting of new standard agreements and development of the logic underlying automated execution contracts (smart contracts)
- Collaboration with innovative start-ups and development of open innovation software in the insurtech sector
Learn more about all the areas of our Digital Innovation Focus Team.